Sunday, June 28, 2009

Music for The Journey

As a means of assisting myself mentally, and motivating myself emotionally, I almost always have some kind of music playing aorund me. For this most recent trip toward my most recent goals, I compiled a playlist of 100 songs for 100 days. the first song on the list was the tune I used to close the previous post, the finale from Stephen Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George.

The last phrase there is one of the things that truly captures my imagination at moments like these.

"White - a blank page or canvas - his favorite; so many possibilities."

To kick things in gear after that I picked two songs that express the desire to get moving and get things done. Bruce Springsteen's Working on a Dream, the title tune from his most recent album, a song about a person holding hope in his heart and a hammer (or some other implement of construction and contemplation) in his hand.

I follow that with the Elvis mashup A Little Less Conversation, a rather ironic song to place in the mix considering the fact that almost everything I do gets talked to death before, during, and after the action. Nonetheless, the tune works for me as a reminder that talking (or blogging) isn't enough. The preparation isn't the race, the cooking isn't the meal. The road itself, the journey itself, may indeed be the destination, but even under that scenario one needs to be on the road; not sitting on the couch, or at the desk, contemplating the journey.

The song also happens to be the foundation of my favorite Nike commercial.

No comments: