Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day 25 - Less News is Still Good News

I ended my two day "news fast" by watching the V.P. debate which served, more than anything else, to show me how much of a waste watching and fretting over every glimmer of "news" coverage can be.

Juxtaposed against the daily readings that I have been doing in Merton, readings in which he regularly laments the absurd overabundance of pointless and misleading verbiage spewed into the collective mind (and this written 40 years or more ago!!!) I am finding that one of the best ways to move further in what I REALLY want to accomplish in life, may be to spend more time ignoring the crap that is perpetually flying through the airwaves. Now... I have to admit, some of it I find extremely entertaining, but very little of it do I find informative. Additionally, for the first time in my life, I am coming to a place where I have some real questions about how valuable even the "informative" stuff really is.

It's probably subject to the 80/20 rule, in which 20% of what I pay attention to provides 80% of the value... but I'm even finding that a bit hard to believe.

No comments: