Saturday, October 4, 2008

Day 26 - Leaving room for life to sneak in...

I have yet to work out my schedule in such a way that I can really nail it down like the deep Virgo side of my psyche really desires. Intending to facilitate that, I have also tried to schedule in down time during the middle of the week. That time is SUPPOSED to be on Wednesday, but in the last four weeks I have not once taken that time on Wednesday. An alternative approach I have been testing involves allowing myself the half day (or perhaps even more) off during the week to remain flexible... movable... so that if I want to take in a museum exhibit, or a film, or I need to just take care of life's exigencies, I can do so without completely derailing my plans. This seems to work better... more or less.

Yesterday I spent the morning helping take care of family stuff for my sweetie. I then had plans to take in the opening set at The Hardly Strictly Blue Grass Fest in San Francisco, but that sort of fell through. Instead I returned to do some work, run some errands and spend the evening eating pizza and watching baseball. Rather mundane... but exactly perfect.

It's clear that making progress in all the other areas of life requires leaving some space for the mundane, the ordinary, and the serendipitous. It's the same lesson we all heard from Lennon back when he was raising his kid and baking bread, just shortly before he was killed...

Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.

No comments: