Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day 32 - Do... Do... Do... Dah... Dah... Dah...

Winding down toward the last week of this six week program I am inevitably having to face into the reality of what I have accomplished, what I haven't accomplished, what I want to keep working on, what I really don't care about.

To that end, I was working today on a series of "Do Lists."

In his book "Good to Great," Jim Collins discusses the idea that it's as important (maybe more so) to create a Stop Doing List as it is to create To Do Lists. The To Do Lists are easy, there's always more to do, but the real secret to getting things accomplished the way you want to is making decisions and making cuts.

To my mind there are a couple other Do Lists that are important to consider: in addition to the Do and Do Not lists, I have added two more, a DON'T Do List, comprised of items that I do (both constantly and intermittently) that I want to cease doing immediately (as opposed to the Stop Doing List which made up of things I want to phase out of my life on a more gradual basis), and a Bucket List, modeled after the recent film and consisting of things that I consider vital to accomplish sometime between now and when I die.

So that's what I did this morning... I went back to all the things I've been doing (both befpore and since the 40 days started) and compiled my current Do, Stop Doing, DON'T Do, and Bucket Lists.

Unfortunately, in the midst of all this I did, at both the beginning and the end of the day, one of the things on my DON'T DO list; I started and ended the day watching the news... BIG MISTAKE.

No comments: