Friday, September 19, 2008

Day 12 - Just Do It


It's an old, and by now rather tired, ad campaign, but when it was created it was brilliant. Nike's Just Do It slogan cut to the chase and ran right by all the excuses. The idea remains brilliant still.

So much of what I do... is hesitant, second-guessed, over the shoulder tenuousness that it is frankly amazing that I get anything done at all.

This morning I found a piece of paper that I gave as a Christmas present last December. It was the listing of a series of games at Yankee stadium and it was my plan to go to one or more of those games. The trip never happened, the games went on without us and here I sit this morning looking at the paper and wondering how I let that moment slip through my hands.

But that's really not hard to figure out.  The moment slipped through my hands because I simply did not fully believe in what I promised to do. This lack of faith led to a lack of vision, a lack of preparation, and ultimately a lack of accomplishment.

The moment passed and the opportunity for something magical was missed.

This is what I see in what I do today.

There is nothing on my list of goals for the remaining 28 days of this program that can be accomplished... not a single thing... without my complete faith in its possibility and my complete commitment to the goal. You don't make it through the crux of a climb when you're looking back at the ground.

Or as Frank says... "Don't dream it... be it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frank was really weird....

But besides that, after all the adventures on self help upon which you have embarked, perhaps the greatest lesson has been the true (and HONEST) value of a really good rationalization...... it is truly a marvelous life skill. You know it, I know it, and so does everyone else.......

also, in addition to following your bliss, St. Joe said that all you need to do to save the world is to save yourself. Thus it is not an egocentric indulgence, trying to make yourself happy, it is an attempt to save the world. The only way to counteract the darkness that surrounds us is to create some happiness and light. A mirror in the darkness does no one any good. Our task, should we choose to accept it, is to strike a spark of light in the darkness. The prime imperative is to make ourselves happy. If giving makes you happy, by any and all means GIVE! If writing makes you happy, write. If you get off on creating ways for other people to make themselves happy, go for it.

I'm getting carried away, but I enjoy being the fly on the wall in somebody else's life...

You're a brave man..