Monday, September 8, 2008

I'll sleep when I'm dead

My greatest block to operating with efficiency throughout the day is a huge mid-afternoon slump that I undergo sometime between 2 and 4 pm. Occasionally I succumb to the force completely and lie down for a nap that may last anywhere from ten minutes to an hour, most of the time I just fade to very low energy and keep trying to pound through the work and the day. On occasion, I just give up and go for a beer. This effect is exacerbated by the dilantin that I take for epilepsy, but that's not the whole story either.

Emotionally, this general lethargy tends to be accompanied by some fairly extreme depression, frustration, or anger. Needless to say, it's not a good time for coordinating meetings with clients, or even conversations with friends. It's definitely not a time to talk politics.

No matter what I do, this feeling almost always evaporates and the mood lightens somewhere around 4 and I perk back up, scrambling toward the end of the day, desperately trying to find a way to dig back in and make up for the wasted time and lost productivity.

If I could solve this one problem over the next 6 weeks, my life would be improved significantly.

For now... I'm gonna take a nap.

No comments: