Monday, September 29, 2008

Day 22 - Running For Something

This morning, I started the morning and the week in a low energy lethargy that I found myself battling in one of those brain fights that are forced on me from time to time. Battles that sometimes I win and most times I lose. When I turned on the iTunes and caught the Melissa Ethridge song "Run for Life," the song she recorded after her battle with breast cancer and her declaration of solidarity and purpose in the struggle against cancer, I thought of friends and loved ones who have had the disease in one form or another and who have both died from it and battled it back to a thriving life, I was laid sideways by a HUNGER for something more than the every day meandering that takes up most of my time.

Paul Newman's death this weekend went by very quietly in the midst of all the other things that I was doing. I heard a brief bit of an interview with him on the radio and I read bits and pieces in passing as I glanced at one newspaper article or another. The thing that I was most taken by was the way he latched on to living and held it. Whether acting, in his marriage to Joanne Woodward, at his camps for kids, as a race car driver, a gastronomical entrepeneur, or just as a good and decent human being, Newman LIVED.

More than anything, THIS is what I am seeking to gain in the remaining three weeks of this 40 Day plan. This is "the bliss" that Campbell talks about.

I want to find MY way back to real life again. I want to know the passion that, at one time, I felt every morning, and that I so deeply desire to feel again. I want to find the energy, the focus, and the intention to get up every morning and pursue THAT each day... EVERY DAY.

No comments: