Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day 4 - God Is In The Details

Many years ago a terrific therapist that I worked with in San Francisco gave me a quote from Marie Louise Von Franz that has stuck with me ever since. He said... she said... "It is in your inferior function that you will find your life."

For me, an ENFP person, my thinking and judging functions (those basic realities that get you through the practical matters of life) are very very low. They ARE my "inferior functions" and I have been miserable at making use of them for the first part of my life. There have been a couple of times when I've done well at it, and true to the prediction, they were my most productive and successful moments.

The good news in this is that all the theories about personality function (all derived from and dependent on Carl Jung's theories) suggest that it is in later life that you begin to access and make serious use of those aspects.

Well... at 54 years old, I guess that's where I am.

What this means in the present situation is that the key to this process I have plunged myself into is making use of the detail elements. What I need to do, more than anything else right now, is get the details right.

In re-examining my goals yesterday, I didn't find very much I really wanted to change, or drop. What I did realize is that I need to lay out a course to progress through and that course needs to start with grounding elements like budgets, income-expense tables, and the real details of the basic business elements I want to follow. The things that will provide the foundation for all the rest.

It is THESE elements of the plan that will set the ground for all the rest, and it is these elements that I am the worst at mastering; they are indeed the manifestation of my inferior function.

So... that's where I'm going to start... at ground level, at the base, at the beginning.

No comments: